As the days get shorter and the number of tasks on our to-do lists grows ever longer, it’s hard to figure out sometimes even what needs to be done, let alone how much time you need to complete these projects. I’m constantly trying to find ways to maximize the spare moments in time I manage to capture throughout my day. This week, I’m blogging about what to do when you only have a minimal amount of time.
Ten minutes of free time is a bigger deal than you think it is- in fact, some people swear by a scheduling method that involves setting aside an extra ten minutes for every hour block of time you schedule. Allowing yourself extra time after a meeting, phone call, or even an appointment with yourself can create extra time to check off your to-do lists, review your notes and prepare for the next task at hand. Bonus: if you find your meeting is running long or you run into unexpected complications with your work, you’ve got some extra time to play with. Here’s what else you can do if you only have 10 minutes.
When You’re at Home
• refill soap containers/replace soaps in bathroom and kitchen
• replace candles in sticks/holders/candelabras
• sort and take out your garbage/recycling/compost
• collect scattered children’s toys and put away
• clean your household mirrors (bathroom, bed, entryway)
• wipe down doorknobs (do this at your office too!)
When You’re at Work
• check your privacy settings, cookies, browser history on computer, laptop, or tablet and clean-up/modify as necessary
• clean out the nooks and crannies of your computer (and the rest of your electronics!) with compressed air
• test and purge all unwanted, broken or old office supplies
• sort mail; discard junk and make plans to deal with the rest
When You’re Just Looking for Something to Do
• sort through your coupons
• clean out your wallet
• clean out your purse or handbag
Here’s to a more productive day!
I’m always looking for the best ways to manage my time and workflow more effectively and efficiently. If you’re looking for more ways to increase your productivity as well, click here for more strategies that I’ve developed and researched and here for more ways to stay organized. For more ways to deal with your busy lifestyle, click here.
How do you keep busy? Share your secrets with us by commenting below, or keep it between you and I by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.