I talk a lot about the business of keeping busy on my blog (hey, the word busy is even in the title) but once in awhile you deserve a time out. I’m here today to give you permission to do just that. After all, what is the point in figuring out the most productive way to get things done if you’re not using that free time to cultivate fun and actually live your life.
If you feel that some excitement has been missing from your life lately, you need to create a Someday/Maybe list, like immediately. The idea is not an original one- David Allen introduces this concept in his book Getting Things Done (which I reviewed here)- and uses the Someday/Maybe list as a place to capture future projects and business goals.
I took his idea one step further and created a Someday/Maybe list of all of the things I want to do, and learn, and explore throughout my life. Sure, some of these hopes may seem unrealistic. I might not even get around to them in this lifetime. But it’s still fun to dream.
What’s on your someday/maybe list? Here’s a list of some of the things that you may (or may not) wish to include:
- books that you’d like to read; movies and TV shows to watch; new music you’d like to listen to;
- hobbies that you’d like to try; hobbies you’d like to improve; abandoned hobbies that you’d like to take up again;
- restaurants/food/recipes that you’d like to try;
- shows, festivals and exhibits that you’d like to attend;
- degrees, certificates, or certifications you’d like to earn; seminars, courses or workshops you’d like to attend;
- new languages or skills you’d like to learn or improve
- vacation destinations- complete with people to visit, things to do and places to stay.
I keep a copy of my Someday/Maybe list in my Command Central binder to refer back to and revise every so often. It serves as a great reminder as to why I do what I do in the first place and those days when things get a little too hectic it feels so refreshing to take a moment to read it, and dream. On paper, your life has no limits. It’s a beautiful and freeing thing.
What’s on your Someday/Maybe list? I’m dying to know. Maybe we have something in common! Share your thoughts below or keep them between us by sending them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your dreams are safe with me!
Wanna take a little peek into what’s on my Someday/Maybe list? Check out my Goodreads profile for my ever-growing list of books that I want to read (which is basically, like, all the books.) I’m also a little bit of a Pinterest junkie. You can see what’s been catching my eye on one of my numerous inspiration boards here.